Louie comes home this Monday! Hoorah!!!!!
There are a few temporary tools that I encourage you to have to make Louie's transition that much easier! PLEASE HAVE THESE CHARGED AND READY TO GO FOR OUR TRANSITION SESSION! :)
1.) Garmin E-collar & Remote
2.) (Optional - Highly Recommended) Garmin Bark Control Collar - (You can either purchase or you can buy one from me to make sure you have one in time for when he comes home)
It has really been a pleasure this month working with Louie. We have accomplished some major skills that you two were struggling with when you first called me.
Louie has been taught and at this point completely understands what the feeling of the e-collar means and ceases the negative behavior immediately.
I have taught him (using the Garmin Bark Control Collar) and corrective methods that the large portion of his barking was inappropriate and unacceptable. This is something that will need to reinforced at home or he will revert back to old habits. The reason why this skill is so important to be reinforced at home is because from what I saw, Louie is protective of his home and copes with the stress of someone new in his home environment by barking... loud. It is one thing to know not to bark at the academy, but another and most importantly not to bark at home or while he is out and about with you. We will cover this as well as practice this on Sunday night when he comes home.
HOW THIS CAN BE DONE:
- During the day have Louie wear his Garmin Bark Control Collar and Garmin E-collar
- The Garmin Bark Control will automatically detect and correct barking
- If for some rare reason the bark control does not activate use the e collar remote system as a secondary correction.
2. Food Aggression
We have consistently worked on Louie's growling at other dogs when they near his food bowl. This how ever has been with larger dogs that would put him in his place if need be. This food aggression has gotten a lot better. The most important thing will be to continue to monitor him when he comes home.
HOW CAN THIS BE DONE
- Place the food bowl out and he must sit and wait before he is allowed to eat
- Once he is released keep a close eye on him and entice Tippie to come near
- If he growls ... correct with e-collar and take food away for a few minutes ... then repeat
- He understands this process and from what have analyzed and seen, there is little to no food aggression
3. Jumping and too rough play
Louie has been doing an amazing job keeping his four paws on the ground as well as playing respectfully with dogs of all sizes. However, Tippie is a dog that he have been able to be rough with and not get disciplined, so we will work on this Monday night.
HOW THIS CAN BE DONE
- If Louie decides to jump, get jealous or not give you your personal space you can utilize your e collar tool and correct the behavior with a nick. These are skills that we have worked on and he knows the foundational work we just need to reinforce it at home with you two and Tippie.
- If Louie is disrupting Tippie and is consistently too rough with her you can use the e-collar to correct and cease this behavior as well (we will practice this on Monday night)
Overall this month has been wonderful with Louie. He has gained some essential skills he will need for the remainder of his life being here at Knallhart.
If you could have your collar(s) charged and ready to go so that I can walk you through all the training and processes that would be GREAT! I AM SO EXCITED TO BRING HIM HOME and I know you two are excited to have him home! '
Also, the remaining balance on your account is $558.71, please take your time to pay this! No rush no worries! Thank you for your partial payment of $500, I did receive that.
See you Monday, Please let me know if you have any questions. before then. Please also look over the handbook again before Sunday, we will be covering information provided in that book and if you two have the basic understanding of corrective training, Sunday will be a breeze! Also check your calendars, I would like to schedule 4-5 private at home training sessions after he comes back home to work with you two and make sure all is well!
Thanks you two!!!